Friday, November 13, 2020

"Voice lll Continuum"




I made a song for The Wayward Music Series: https://www.waywardmusic.org/?p=5766

Faith Coloccia is an artist and musician who works under the names Mamiffer and Mára. Her recordings have been released on SIGE records, Karlrecords, Room 40,Blackest Ever Black and Hydra Head. She is the co-founder of the experimental music label SIGE Records. 

Voice III Continuum

Halfway through the shutdown and the pandemic I started going through all of my cassette field recordings from when my son was first born. The current state of our collective consciousness was layered on top of the sounds recorded before I knew that the events and hungry ghosts of 2020 were even a possibility. I couldn’t unhear the “Before” and “After” of this year. Recordings of the past are now laced with a heavy urgent present.

The work I have been doing with the recordings corresponds to my son learning language, first abstractly and now more concretely, as he learns individual letters removed from their subjects. How does communication develop if sounds are missing, or if time or limitations take a consonant away? What if you cannot be heard, or if someone has forgotten how to listen? Communications through click and vibration. There is a window of time where language can take root in a child, along with ideas that the language carries. How does this information become a story, passed down through families? In making this song, I was reaching for a sound antidote, and a lineage prayer.

Source material: cassette field recording of Needle Creek on Vashon Island while walking with my then 2 year old son, 2018.

Voice and Organ recorded and mixed at home August-October 2020 by Faith Coloccia. Mastered by Kevin Ratterman.

No comments:

Post a Comment